Who or What is the Holy Spirit?
The Holy Spirit is the third member of the Godhead or Holy Trinity. He is a spirit (without a body), and as such his influence can be felt by all on earth at once similar to the way the sun can shine on and warm many people at once (see Doctrine and Covenants 130:22 ).
Why do we Need a Holy Spirit?
- He bears witness of God the Father and Jesus Christ, his son (1 Corinthians 12:3).
- He reveals the truth of all things (John 14:26).
- He purifies those who have repented and become
- The Holy Spirit guides us in our lives (John 16:13).
- The Holy Spirit bears record of the Father and the Son (3 Nephi 28:11).
How to Recognize Feelings from the Holy Spirit
From time to time, you may have felt the influence of the Holy Spirit while listening to the teachings of Christ, doing something good, or performing an act of kindness. These feelings come from the Holy Spirit and confirm the truth or that you are doing the right thing. The Bible tells us how to recognize those feelings in Galatians 5:22-23:
"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance..."
Can We Receive Continual Guidance from the Holy Spirit?
As mentioned before, throughout your life, you may have felt the influence of the Holy Spirit from time to time. However, there is a higher level of influence of the Holy Spirit that everyone can qualify for. It is called the Gift of the Holy Ghost, and is mentioned in Acts 2:38, Acts 10:45, and Hebrews 6:4. This is a free gift that everyone on earth can receive if they follow the steps below.
How to Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost
The Holy Spirit (also known as the Holy Ghost) must be received by the pattern shown in the Bible (Acts 8:16-20). After a person is baptized, individuals having authority from God (the priesthood) lay their hands on the person's head and give them the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost as a continual guide throughout their lives as long as they are doing their best to live a good life.
Specific Steps to Receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost (Holy Spirit)
- Individuals first must have faith and repent of their wrong doings (Acts 2:38).
- Individuals must then be baptized by someone with the proper authority from God (Acts 8:19).
- A person having authority (priesthood) from God, by the laying on of hands, gives the individual the Gift of the Holy Ghost (Acts 8:18-19).
The Authority to Give the Gift of the Holy Ghost Was Lost
When the apostles of the Bible died, the authority from God priesthood to give the gift of the Holy Ghost was lost or taken from the earth. This is called the "Apostasy". It was prophesied that this would happen in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 and Amos 8:11. After that time, people could still feel of the Holy Spirit from time to time as they heard teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ or did good unto others, but the privilege of having the continual guide of the Holy Spirit (or gift of the Holy Ghost) was taken from the earth. Nobody had the authority to give the Gift of the Holy Ghost as the apostles of old did through the laying on of hands.
The Authority to has been Restored by the Ancient Apostles
The authority from ancient times, to give the gift of the Holy Ghost, has been restored to the earth again by Peter, James, and John (Christ's Apostles in the New Testament), who appeared as heavenly messengers in 1830, and through the laying on of hands (Acts 8:17) restored the authority, to give the gift of the Holy Ghost, again to the earth.
How Can the Gift of the Holy Ghost Help Guide Your Life?
- You can receive guidance to help you make important life decisions.
- You can receive inspiration about others who may be in need.
- You can receive guidance about where to live.
- You can receive inspiration about whom to marry.
- You can receive guidance about what career to pursue.
- You can receive inspiration about how best to help your children in our world of shifting values.
- You can receive a more solid witness that God lives and that Jesus is the Christ.
- You can know if certain teachings you hear are true.
- You can receive inspiration that can protect you and your loved ones from physical or spiritual harm.
Order the Book of Mormon
The Book of Mormon contains more information about God, Jesus Christ, and the Gift of the Holy Ghost.
How You can Receive the Continual Companionship of the Holy Spirit? Visit with indiviuals who have the priesthood authority to baptize and give the gift of the Holy Ghost.