Family Home Evening
How to hold a weekly Family Home Evening to teach children. This page includes a sample agenda and the importance of Family Home Evening.
What is a Family Home Evening?
A "Family Home Evening" is a time once a week when a family gets together to talk about standards, values and religious topics. It is based on the premise that for children to make informed and wise decisions during their lives, they have to have knowledge of the truth.
Family Home Evening Sample Agenda
One suggestion is that family members rotate the following items each week. This may include the teaching of the lesson also.
- Religious Song or Hymn
- Opening prayer
- Discussion of a value/standard. For ideas, see topics in the free pamphlet For the Strength of Youth. One of the topics in that pamphlet could be read each week.
- Lesson on a religious topic: keep in mind the ages of the children and attention spans.
- Scripture stories
- Analogies or stories that teach a lesson (for example, about honesty, kindness or love, etc…)
- For younger children, stories could be read out of the children's magazine called the Friend.
- Activity: Games, swimming, hiking, etc.
Tips for Successful Family Home Evenings
- Hold it the same time each week and make it a priority. Sunday or Monday nights can be ideal.
- Keep ages of children in mind. For younger children, shorter lessons and activities are recommended due to their attention span.
Where did Family Home Evening Originate?
A prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was first inspired to start the Family Home Evening program in 1915 to help combat the attacks on the family. A free Family Home Evening lesson manual has been created to give you ideas on carrying out Family Home Evenings. Feel free to click on the link above.
If you'd like to learn how to properly hold a Family Home Evening, missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints would be glad to help you do so. You can do it with just your family or hold one with a family who has been doing Family Home Evenings for years. Sign up below to be contacted:
Request a Visit for More Information
Learn about Family Home Evenings from representatives from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.